Hi everyone! My apologies for the hiatus – I was away on vacation in B.C. It was a gorgeous getaway, and an amazing way to end July. But now, coming home, I feel so overwhelmed with things to catch up on. Instead of feeling relaxed post-vacay, I feel stressed out. It’s a struggle to get myself back into my routine. My ‘to do list’ looms in front of me, and I do not know where to begin. August is going to be a busy month, and it currently seems daunting.
This is not a good feeling to come home to! Instead of feeling motivated, I feel like I want to stay in bed (throw a pity party) and ignore all responsibilities. So, I am deciding to take control of these no good, stressed out vibes and regain a sense of peace, before tackling on August. I usually have some go-to rituals to de-stress, and I would like to share them with you.
Here is how I plan to achieve a sense of calm and control over the next few days:
- Organize, organize, organize. I love to write things down. I feel like seeing my thoughts on paper clears my head. I am going to separate into lists what needs to be done and when – for school, work, and personal.
- Keep John Mayer on repeat. His soothing voice and slow songs are grounding, and help me focus.
- Workout. It is so hard to come home from vacation with yummy foods and no working out, and get back into it. I am literally dreading the gym. But I know it will make me feel so much better and give me the endorphin boost that I need.
- Cuddle my puppy. No explanation necessary.
- Talk to my mom. Her pep talks are the best. It is so helpful to have someone guide me, and show me unconditional love. (SHOUTOUT TO MY WONDERFUL MOTHER!)
- Read. I am biased because I am a bookworm, but reading transports me somewhere else, without worries or stress. If you do not like to read, I recommend just taking a break and doing something to totally distract yourself. I am going to be hitting up the library ASAP.
I am hoping to get through the next few days, use these de-stressing techniques, and ground myself so that August can be a productive, kick-ass month. I am super hard on myself, so I need to remind myself to let go of those perfectionist tendencies. Slow down; take things one at a time. Everything will unfold as its meant to, and work itself out.
P.S. Writing this blog post has already made me feel better!! So thanks to my awesome followers for keeping me going and giving me the release and boost of support that I need. You guys rock. I would love to hear your favourite ways to destress – comment them below!