Fall is here and I could not be more excited. This is my favourite time of the year – I love the bright colours that come with the change of season. During this season, I always cozy up with hot tea and read psychological thrillers. I am a super scaredy cat, but these books keep me on my toes without keeping me up all night.
I love reading these type of books in the fall because they are extremely engaging. When I am back in school, I like to take study breaks and fully distract myself with something besides schoolwork. These books are the perfect distraction, as I actively direct my thoughts towards the twisty plot of the book. Here are some recent reads of mine, that I definitely recommend you read this fall:
- The Perfect Girl by Gilly Macmillan – This involves some sinister family dynamics and an accident gone horribly wrong.
- Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty – In this novel, a parent is murdered at a school function; it gives background on the lies that intertwined before the murder took place.
- The Husbands Secret by Liane Moriarty – This novel includes a letter (not meant to be opened until after death) that gets prematurely read, and hashes out the fallout that follows suit.
- Into The Water by Paula Hawkins – This book explores women with a harsh history, who have turned to the icy cold waters in a small town as a means of escape. There are elements of witchcraft and mystery.
- I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh – This book is about a tragic hit and run accident, and a mother’s grief following horrible events. It also follows the police department as they investigate who committed the crime.
All of these novels involve some type of murder or accident, that is unraveled as the book goes on. However, it explores the psyche of the protagonist, giving an inside look into their thoughts, emotions, and secrets. I love these books because once I start reading them, I cannot stop until I am finished. I have been guilty of reading some of these novels within one sitting.
I hope you have the chance to read these books. I am always on the hunt for new books to read – so please comment below any book suggestions you may have for me!